Tuesday, July 25, 2006

There's No Place Like Home(group)


I went to a meeting at the place I got sober last night. It is a clubhouse. Sometimes I wonder how I ever got sober in that place. It is literally insane at times.

Members would get kicked out of other groups in the area and come to our group and become trusted servants LOL. Fortunately there were a couple guys that were all about getting "SOBER" sober through the steps. I especially thank God for those people.

When I would get sick of this place and some of my friends stopped going, I always remember those guys who probably could have gone to the “less toxic” meetings but instead took the time to come back and carry a message of hope to a place where there was little.

So last night a fellow chaired the meeting who I will not even attempt to describe other than to say he has been sober a long time but is borderline insane and not so borderline obnoxious. Rather than give a 3 minute lead after reading the first step, he decided to tell his 20 minute war story complete with the blood and guts doom and gloom. He eventually talked about “recovery” which amounted to essentially a lecture on how everyone else does sobriety wrong. At one point some bleeding deacon's intervened from the floor and a shouting match ensued.

I think I felt God leave the meeting.

After a brief break where I enjoyed a large cup bad coffe, the meeting resumed. Actually the 2nd half of the meeting was quite good... glad I didn't quit before the miracle ;-) The new guy got lots of warm welcomes and and free cigarettes … one of the gals gave him a big hug … I’m pretty sure he wanted what she had so I think he will be back.

8 Comments:

Blogger Gwen said...

Sounds just like the club I got sober in. It was nick named "The Nuthouse." I could not go to "well" meetings because my mouth was like a pissed off trucker. After my first year things toned down a bit and I stretched my wings to those "well" meetings. Aaaah ~ good times ;)

4:57 PM  
Blogger Mary Christine said...

Aha! There is surely one of these places in every town. And it is where I got sober too! I shouldn't tell someone else's story, but when my friend (who now has a long white beard) moved to another city, he said he would go to the intergroup office to find out where the group with the worst reputation was and that is where he would go!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Daily Piglet said...

Wonder why sober clubs have such a bad rap? I mean I KNOW why they have a bad rap but why does it have to be that way?

I witnessed a fight in my third month of sobriety and it scared me to the bones.

9:40 PM  
Blogger lash505 said...

Great movie I didn't intend to hang out with people that are insane like myself.

12:09 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Ia m cracking up sounds like my how my homegroup can be... there are a few of us there for recovery, then we have the bleeding deacons... and then the insane people who out number us all... LOL
sounds like you had a good perspective though right on

12:52 PM  
Blogger Trudging said...

A.A. clubs can be really crazy places. You are right it is a wonder how any of us get sober.

5:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » » »

2:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work »

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home